I execute projects for international law firms and investment banks. I also contribute to Legal Business, Legal Week, Law.Com, the Sunday Times, Guardian, Telegraph, and the Times, for which I was a feature writer for several years.
Educated at Manchester Grammar School and Durham University, my career started in banking, culminating in a secondment to Lazard. After a spell at News International, I became head of Euromoney’s Legal Media Group in London and Hong Kong, where I lived for three years. I was then appointed as European Head of Operations at IIR, the world’s largest conference company, responsible for offices in seven European countries.
LAW FIRM CLIENTS
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Linklaters and the European best friends of Slaughter and May use my services. Other firms that engage me for bespoke projects include: Hogan Lovells, CMS, Bird & Bird, Sullivan & Cromwell and White & Case, as well as several leading independent European firms.
My journalism covers a broad spectrum. I write extensively about international law firms in Europe and their US counterparts: Boies Schiller, Cleary Gottlieb, Cravath, Davis Polk, Kirkland & Ellis, Latham, Simpson Thacher, Skadden, Sullivan & Cromwell, and Wachtell. I remain grateful to David Boies for saving my life with an ice-cold Diet Coke on a hot Manhattan afternoon, and to Marty Lipton for explaining how complex M&A deals are done.
BOOKS & PUBLIC SPEAKING
I also speak at conferences and chair events:
* Legal Business Commercial Litigation Summit, which included Lord Neuberger, former President of the Supreme Court, and Lord Gold, former senior partner Herbert Smith Freehills
* Legal Question Time: Sir William Blair, formerly Judge in Charge of the Commercial Court; Mr Justice Knowles; James Libson, managing partner Mishcon de Reya; Corey Stoughton, Advocacy Director Liberty
* Keynote address: the future of independent law firms in Europe – Ritz-Carlton, Berlin
* International Private Client Forum – Villa d’Este, Cernobbio, Lake Como, Italy
* Offshore centres: Appleby, Conyers, Harneys, Maples, Mourant, Ogier, Walkers – Carlton Tower Jumeirah, London
* Cybersecurity: Roger Meltzer, Co-Chair DLA Piper; Steve Albrecht, GC Barclays; and Amy Pope, former adviser to President Obama and adviser to President Biden.
GET IN TOUCH